• In order to build something new from something old, you often need to destroy it first. And so the destruction derby continues :) Once I disassembled entire guitar, I inspected it to find any scratches and cracks. Those were then fixed using some wood dust, scraps of woods (leftovers from other projects) and Rakol Wood Glue/epoxy (depending on the kind of the fix). After that the time came to cut holes for resonator. The resonator "cone" itself is a funny thing. You can buy "replacement cones" for dobro and other kinds of respohonic guitars but they are extremely expensive and I feel like it'd be a kind of against "DIY spirit". I also like to recycle things so I looked

    Apr 01,
    - by adam
  • As you may remember, the main wood that I chose was pine. While the body blank is already glued I decided to make a switch. Recently I aquired a pile of very old and very well preserved spruce. The thickness of the planks is nearly perfect for solid body so while the width of each of them is about half of what I need, the body will be glued out of two pieces. That's different from the pine one because that one was glued out of four pieces. The spruce is reclaimed. We're - and it will take a few months more - doing a major makover of our flat and we had to cut some holes (for doors) in

    Dec 14,
    - by adam
  • Last time I published a photo of a soon-to-be neck of my diy guitar it looked more like a twisted shovel rather than a proper neck. A few days later and some hours more with my trusty rasp file, a lot has changed. There's not much to write about this time. Currently the neck already has a shape that you would expect from it and the headstock is nearly done. The idea was to make a nice, "sculpted" two-sided (3+3) headstock but due to the size of a maple blank that I ordered I had to review my goal. After all, I decided to go for a Fender-ish shape and I must say I'm pretty pleased with how it came

    Nov 14,
    - by adam
  • As I said previously, I didn't have any wood for the neck of my diy guitar. Finally it arrived so I started working on the neck. The first attempt went surprisingly well. I ordered two solid blocks of maple. They arrived pretty fast and turned out to be in much better condition than I expected. One block is over a meter long and quite thick so I already made some plans, measured it and marked so I could cut out two solid necks from it. This is for later though - the next build or just in case anything went wrong with this one. The second block was a little over 70 centimeters long, around 75 milimeters wide and 30

    Nov 08,
    - by adam
  • Enough dreaming. Time to go from words to deeds :) Knowing (and only I know that) how many years it took me to really make that first and most important step, I'm more than happy to announce that I finally started. First cuts has been made! Recently I apologized myself for the delay and not starting when I was going to start. However, a full bottle of glue is already here. A brand new jigsaw, some nice rasp files, a bunch of clamps of different sizes, a good'ol hand sanding block and a good supply of a sanding paper (40-320 grit so far) are here as well. What you see at the pictures is the wood that I was talking

    Oct 17,
    - by adam