• As I said previously, I didn't have any wood for the neck of my diy guitar. Finally it arrived so I started working on the neck. The first attempt went surprisingly well. I ordered two solid blocks of maple. They arrived pretty fast and turned out to be in much better condition than I expected. One block is over a meter long and quite thick so I already made some plans, measured it and marked so I could cut out two solid necks from it. This is for later though - the next build or just in case anything went wrong with this one. The second block was a little over 70 centimeters long, around 75 milimeters wide and 30

    Nov 08,
    - by adam
  • Wood's certainly not everything. For any electric guitar some additional parts are needed so I finally went shopping :) "Went shopping" is obviously an exaggeration because I bought everything online but to my surprise - searching for the parts was much more fun than I expected. There's more to be bought but some basic stuff is already here. So far I got Wilkinson P90 pickups (which I'll write about in a separate post), 500k pots for volume and tone, a Gibson-style three way switch with a nice ivory-colored switch plate, some wires and self-adhesive copper tape for pickups' and electronics' cavity shielding and those famous 0,022µF Orange Drops (Orange capacitors). Not that Orange Caps are better than regular ones. They

    Nov 03,
    - by adam
  • They say "measure twice, cut once". I should have known that but was too excited, I think. All in all, the first "body blank" didn't work. The second one is on it's way though. Luckily, I have enough wood not only to start over (except material for neck but it's already ordered and should be delivered soon) but to build a few more bodies. That's a good part. Even better is that due to the failed first attempt I had to use another piece of wood that's a bit thicker than previously planned. The guitar body will still be rather thin, most likely around 5-8 milimeters thinner than standard Telecaster body but the piece I used now looks much more

    Oct 25,
    - by adam
  • Enough dreaming. Time to go from words to deeds :) Knowing (and only I know that) how many years it took me to really make that first and most important step, I'm more than happy to announce that I finally started. First cuts has been made! Recently I apologized myself for the delay and not starting when I was going to start. However, a full bottle of glue is already here. A brand new jigsaw, some nice rasp files, a bunch of clamps of different sizes, a good'ol hand sanding block and a good supply of a sanding paper (40-320 grit so far) are here as well. What you see at the pictures is the wood that I was talking

    Oct 17,
    - by adam
  • "Small change got arranged"... Yes, that's the verse from Tom Waits' song but this post is not about it. I decided to go for some minor changes on this site so here's a brief explanation. The goal of that site was to keep a "build diary" of my first (and hopefully more) guitar but also to share some knowledge on guitar building and write about these guitars that I consider "legendary" or I just love. Or would like to have some day. While the "diary and knowledge" part stays on the site, I decided to temporarily get rid of guitars' descriptions. To be honest, I don't really have much time for that but most of all - I'd like to

    Oct 11,
    - by adam