• In order to build something new from something old, you often need to destroy it first. And so the destruction derby continues :) Once I disassembled entire guitar, I inspected it to find any scratches and cracks. Those were then fixed using some wood dust, scraps of woods (leftovers from other projects) and Rakol Wood Glue/epoxy (depending on the kind of the fix). After that the time came to cut holes for resonator. The resonator "cone" itself is a funny thing. You can buy "replacement cones" for dobro and other kinds of respohonic guitars but they are extremely expensive and I feel like it'd be a kind of against "DIY spirit". I also like to recycle things so I looked

    Apr 01,
    - by adam
  • Recently I mentioned that I have found my very first guitar and I'm going to give her a new life. It seems I'm already quite deep into the process :) Originally, that was a 7-string guitar made in USSR. I have no idea how old is that but I got it when I was about 15. So, it's at least 25 years old but my bet is that it's a bit older, around 30 probably. I have no idea what it's made of though I suppose the top is spruce. That's how the wood look like and spruce was/is quite popular and cheap wood in Russia. I'm not sure of that though. Anyway, I decided to convert it to a

    Mar 22,
    - by adam
  • I really thought I'll never see her. Then I just opened a box and there she was. Suddenly, out of the blue, I found her. My very first, very old guitar of which I was sure that she's lost for good. That was a surprise. Hiding inside a long-forgotten cardboard box, she survived over 20 years, not even a slightest trace of dust. I'll be giving her a new life this year by converting her to a diy resonator guitar ("dobro"). I just need to find a nice pet food bowl... photo: Paul Beard/lic. CC2.0/wikimedia

    Feb 22,
    - by adam
  • As you may remember, the main wood that I chose was pine. While the body blank is already glued I decided to make a switch. Recently I aquired a pile of very old and very well preserved spruce. The thickness of the planks is nearly perfect for solid body so while the width of each of them is about half of what I need, the body will be glued out of two pieces. That's different from the pine one because that one was glued out of four pieces. The spruce is reclaimed. We're - and it will take a few months more - doing a major makover of our flat and we had to cut some holes (for doors) in

    Dec 14,
    - by adam
  • Last time I published a photo of a soon-to-be neck of my diy guitar it looked more like a twisted shovel rather than a proper neck. A few days later and some hours more with my trusty rasp file, a lot has changed. There's not much to write about this time. Currently the neck already has a shape that you would expect from it and the headstock is nearly done. The idea was to make a nice, "sculpted" two-sided (3+3) headstock but due to the size of a maple blank that I ordered I had to review my goal. After all, I decided to go for a Fender-ish shape and I must say I'm pretty pleased with how it came

    Nov 14,
    - by adam